Some of the West Midlandsís key sectors have been hard hit. Others are so far proving more resilient.
The industries hardest hit include:
- Vehicle sales, assembly and components firms.
- Private housing construction, and related trades.
Industries showing more resilience so far include:
- Sales, particularly in non-food retail, housing .
- Construction firms involved in infrastructure and other public sector projects particularly for primary industries, including quarrying and chemical production,
- Food packaging and electronics production.
- Vehicle repair, maintenance and parts suppliers.
- Specialist industries such as aerospace, paper manufacturing and printing.
- Food retail, in particular low-cost supermarkets.
Source: Regional Skills Assessment, WMRO, 2008.