A recent survey of 500 Company Directors identified a ‘top 10’ skills and qualities rated as being the most important for recent graduates to possess:
1) Honesty and integrity
2) Basic literacy skills
3) Basic oral communication skills (e.g. telephone skills)
5) Being hardworking and having a good work ethic
6) Numeracy skills
7) A positive ‘can do’ attitude
9) The ability to meet deadlines
10) Team working and co-operation skills
•Employers Want YP who are: Work-ready, Reliable, Motivated, Have Common Sense, Good Communication Skills, Are Good Team Workers, Are Willing to learn, Are Good Time Keepers.
•Skills “more important than qualifications” although ability at maths and good GCSEs are often required.